The rules were simple:
- I must wear a new lip color from my stash every day for 30 straight days
- I can't buy any new lip colors along the way
My reasons for trying this were also simple:
- I have way too many lipsticks, glosses, stains, etc. and I don't wear most of them
- I want to discover new favorites within my lipstick stash
- I want to try new looks inspired by new shades of lip color
- I want to see what colors I like best (and worst) on me and organize my lipsticks accordingly
- I want to stop buying new things when I have 30+ lipsticks (I mean, really!)
3: Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Color in Purty Persimmon // 4: Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Gloss in Coral Reef
7: Wet n Wild Megalast Liquid Lip Color in Back to the Fuchsia // 8: ELF Essentials Lipstick in Captivating
19: Wet n Wild Fergie Lipstick in D-Vinely Chilled // 20: Wet n Wild Mega Last Liquid Lip Color in High-Pitched Wine // 21: Wet n Wild Megalast Liquid Lip Color in Click My Hyper-Pink // 22: NYC Ultra Last Lipwear in Berry Rich // 23: Lancome Juicy Tubes in Pink Horizon // 24: ELF Jumbo Lip Gloss Stick in Pink Umbrellas
27: Wet n Wild Megalast Lip Color in Just Peachy // 28: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Fire & Ice
29: Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede Lipstick in It Girl // 30: Revlon ColorStay Mineral Lipglaze in Perennial Pink
What I Learned
The most noticeable lesson for me is that it's really annoying to take a picture of yourself every day. How are all you selfie addicts managing to do this? I just didn't always feel like posing, putting on makeup or, in some cases, putting on clothes. It got a little tired around day nine, but I pressed on in the name of science.
More importantly (well, relatively anyway), I learned that:
- Safe/subtle shades just aren't going to get much play from me so I might as well toss them.
- NO FROSTY LIP GLOSS EVER. To be fair, mine was super old, but more reason to let it go.
- The subtle differences between red lipsticks mean it's totally okay to have a lot of them.
- Covergirl All-Day Lip Color (#25) is REALLY good, which I totally forgot. I can wear this all day for a reliable matte red lip and it even lasts through pizza and a Halloween party - what more are you really looking for?
- Wet n Wild's Megalast lipsticks are out of this world and only, like, $2. Highly recommended, especially Cherry Bomb (#10) and Purty Persimmon (#3).
- I like dark lip colors on me more than I thought I did. Not longer just for special occasions.
- I probably don't ever need to wear Revlon's Va Va Violet (#14) or Wet n Wild's Click My Hyper-Pink (#21) ever again. I'll save them for when I want to look like a weirdo.
- No more glosses that aren't opaque - don't waste my time.
- Matte lips > glossy lips.
- I need more purple lipstick!
|Top picture is lip colors #1 - #15 and bottom picture is lip colors #16 - #30|
|After scrubbing the swatches, ALL of the Wet n Wild Megalast Liquid lip Colors stayed put! I know I've mentioned it before, but those things are pretty amazing.|
Would you try a 30 Day Lip Color Challenge? If you do, let me know so I can follow along!
How many lipsticks is too many? How long would it take you to wear all the shades from your stash? What's you favorite lip color right now?